Help Desks

Monday through Friday
8:00am until 4:30pm

(800) 482-5431

1. Coverage
2. Bills
3. Denial letters
4. Other services

(800) 482-8988
in-state toll-free  or
(501) 682-8233
local and out-of-state

1. Lost / non-receipt of
Medicaid cards
2. Eligibility
3. County DHS problems

How Do I Apply?

ARKids First-A or ARKids First-B

You can apply for ARKids First-A and ARKids First-B at the same time by completing the application form. DHS will look at your application and decide whether you qualify for either program. You have several options to apply.

The application will ask questions about how much money you make and whether your children have health insurance. You will also need a copy of your child’s birth certificate to prove your child’s age. If your child is not a U.S. citizen, you will need copies of the child’s alien papers. Paper application forms and the other papers can be mailed or hand-delivered to your county DHS office.


The fastest way to apply for coverage is to apply online (HTML, new window).  You may also apply for Medicaid in person at the Department of Human Services (DHS) office in the county where you live. If you are not able to go, a family member or friend may apply for you. You must sign an application form and give certain information about yourself and your family, how much money you make, and any other money or property you have. The county office will determine your eligibility.

You can print a Family Medicaid Application from the Division of County Operations on the DHS website (HTML, new window), or call 1-800-482-8988 or your local county DHS office (HTML, new window) for more information.

When you go to the county office to apply for Medicaid, bring the following information about yourself and your family members who live with you:

  • Proof of your age such as a birth certificate, driver’s license or a birth record from the hospital
  • Paycheck stubs for everyone in your household who has a job
  • Social Security card
  • Letters or forms from Social Security, SSI, Veteran’s Administration, or other sources that show the amount of your income
  • Insurance policies, including other health insurance policies
  • Bank books or other papers that show the amount of money or property you own

When you apply for Medicaid, DHS workers will explain the ConnectCare program and ask you to select your primary care physician.